the Bronze disease thread

Nerosmyfavorite68

On academia.edu you can find several papers about BD written by professional conservators from different museums. 

In this paper they use a "Paraloid" solution as last step. This is an acrylic resin. Has anyone tried this for coins? 

https://www.academia.edu/6804302/1980_Reindell_Treatment_of_the_copper_bronze_breastplate_from_Hasanlu

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Spaniard said:

@Prieure de Sion....Just a thought but make sure the coin is totally 100% moisture free and with no bd..This film of wax will seal in anything you leave on the surface of the coin which could erupt later...Looking forward to seeing your results. 

I have tried the wax on an ancient bronze coin of Gordianus. I have deliberately used a somewhat porous coin. On the web you often see smooth bronze coins. What happens then is logical - the wax settles on the surface of the smooth coin and it shines like new. But this is not because of the coin itself - but only because the wax stays on the surface.

Hence the experiment with a porous coin. In my opinion, there is hardly any difference. Especially not on the obverse - as this is/was very stained anyway. On the reverse side, I see a small improvement - the pores have been closed somewhat and the coin looks a little softer. 

My first impression - the wax does not turn a "VF" coin into an "EF" coin. It is logical that everything suddenly shines on smooth surfaces. I did not notice any real improvement on a large scale. 

But it has to be said - this is not written on the tin - nor is it promised by the manufacturer. Here you can only read that the wax protects. And I think that's what the wax is there for. It can close pores to a certain degree, seal them and also protect the coin itself. The latter should also be the main task of the wax.

Conclusion: My opinion. Often praised on the web as a miracle cure for antique coins - for me, at first glance, there is no benefit to justify the expense of the wax. I do not know how the wax and the coins react - even in the long term - and should therefore be treated with caution. From my point of view - an unnecessary expense for such a tin of wax.

Edited by YOTHR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1