So this is where everyone went!

Egry

Welcome, @Egry

I was fortunate enough to be invited on this forum and frankly I like it better than CT, especially since all the people I knew virtually and learned some secrets of this hobby from are here.

I have an example of your coin. In a completely different condition, but it is one of my favorite denarii nevertheless.

It was from my first purchase of ancient coins, in a lot of 8 denarii (bought for a very decent price in an auction that was very unpopular; much less than I thought a silver denarius costs and anyway a good price even today - this was 1 year and a half ago). Beginner's luck. I was a complete noob but I wanted to identify all the coins myself (which I did) and I remember I had to check who is that emperor (had no idea) and after identifying the coin I also made a check on Lucius Verus as I never heard of him before collecting.

image.png.cb24dc0523301ecf90b4983496360240.png

My favorite Verus coin is a Divus Verus issue.

image.png.fa7c770db409a9bcd90a32ef7de7e1d7.png

AD 168

DIVVS VERVS, head of Lucius Verus bare, right / CONSECRATIO, funeral pyre in four tiers (ustrina), adorned with statues and garlands, quadriga on top

RIC III Marcus Aurelius 596B; RSC 55, BMC 503

• Like 13

I can't remember if I've posted this one before, but it will have great company with all these Lucius Verus examples. 😄 

This is a fairly scarce sestertius, from the last year of LV's life.  Of the seated Aequitas types, most are POT VIII but this one is VIIII.  The ones I found on acsearch were pretty sloppy in terms of attribution (not to be critical, but these are the professionals; see my notes).   Here it is:

1360658734_LuciusVerus-Sest.AequitasseatedFeb2022(0).thumb.jpg.a22f5f272218fb2aa342bc64bf34452e.jpg

Lucius Verus  Æ Sestertius (168-169 A.D.) Rome Mint [L VERVS] AVG ARM PARTH M[AX], laureae head right / [TR PO]T VIIII IMP V CO[S III] S Aequitas seated left on low seat, holding scales and cornucopiae. RIC III Marcus Aurelius 1484. (27.76 grams / 31 mm) eBay Feb. 2022   

Die Matches: Apparently scarce; OCRE has three examples, two of them are obverse/reverse die  matches:

·          Universität Wien S_01643; American Numismatic  Society 1939.133.28

None in Wildwinds; of the seven in acsearch, none were clearly RIC 1484 (POT VIIII); most were RIC 1479 (POT VIII).

Here's mine with the die-match from Vienna:

84202816_LuciusVerus-Sest.AequitasseatedFeb2022(0diematch).thumb.jpg.5804b1f74f17189f4aa4fd8ff06aa9ba.jpg

https://www.univie.ac.at/ikmk/object?id=ID1082

• Like 13

• Benefactor
3 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

Welcome, @Egry

I was fortunate enough to be invited on this forum and frankly I like it better than CT, especially since all the people I knew virtually and learned some secrets of this hobby from are here.

I have an example of your coin. In a completely different condition, but it is one of my favorite denarii nevertheless.

It was from my first purchase of ancient coins, in a lot of 8 denarii (bought for a very decent price in an auction that was very unpopular; much less than I thought a silver denarius costs and anyway a good price even today - this was 1 year and a half ago). Beginner's luck. I was a complete noob but I wanted to identify all the coins myself (which I did) and I remember I had to check who is that emperor (had no idea) and after identifying the coin I also made a check on Lucius Verus as I never heard of him before collecting.

image.png.cb24dc0523301ecf90b4983496360240.png

My favorite Verus coin is a Divus Verus issue.

image.png.fa7c770db409a9bcd90a32ef7de7e1d7.png

AD 168

DIVVS VERVS, head of Lucius Verus bare, right / CONSECRATIO, funeral pyre in four tiers (ustrina), adorned with statues and garlands, quadriga on top

RIC III Marcus Aurelius 596B; RSC 55, BMC 503

I always liked the funeral pyre reverse, originally I thought it was a temple or fortress and was only slightly disappointed when I found out what it really was and that I couldn’t attribute it to an existing ruin.

• Like 1

Nice to see you here @Egry...

Very good looking coin!

Here's my recent'ish purchase ...

Lucius Verus, 161 - 169 AD.
Silver Denarius, Rome Mint 161 AD, 18mm, 3.11 grams
Obverse: IMP L AVREL VERVS AVG, Bare head of Lucius right.
Reverse: PROV DEOR TR P COS II, Providentia standing left holding globe and cornucopia.
RIC#4630lucius_verus.jpg.1055d6a09b17180f0bb837f0d2d78d54.jpg

• Like 10

image.png.3c1e659f0abfaff12e9e2fcc7c604c06.png

And here is my Divus Lucius not as well preserved as @Ambr0zie's example but I like it. This one is quite fragile with a bad crack but arrived in one piece. 

Divus Lucius Verus AD 169. Rome
Denarius AR Ex Savoca Auction 16 , lot 1104. 2019.  I almost said pre-Covid!

19mm., 2,55g.

I have some negative opinions on slabs and have removed ancients from them in the past, but as Sengan said "if you seek the truth you cannot hold an opinion" and I have mused over buying one of those "do it yourself" slabs to hold this to ensure it doesn't break. The cost of grading would be in excess of the worth of the coin and anyone breaking open a sealed slab in the future would definitely destroy it but a non sealed slab might be a way of preserving it past my life time.

I tried to keep my head below the parapet on CT as I was there for the coins not the drama so I will maintain that status here. I have limited time to post and always thought I had the best deal from the point of view of education so hope that continues and I can see many members who I followed on CT. As some others have commented I will still visit CT but will follow the threads that interest me wherever they are.

• Like 13

@Egry, here is my only Denarius from L.Verus:

lverus_1024_468.thumb.jpg.bdfe9cc01b353ab0feeb8f574e96a4c2.jpg

AD 168 ; Silver Denarius ; Rome

Obverse: L VERUS AUG ARM PARTH MAX

Reverse: TRP VIII IMP V COS III  ; Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae

RIC III , MARCUS AURELIUS 590

• Like 10

Welcome, @Egry
Here's my best Lucius Verus denarius

eyJpZCI6ImNvaW4vNTkwNi9vYnZlcnNlX2ltYWdlL2Jhc2ljLWYxMzI5ZmMyNjZiYWU3MjZiYmY2YTk1YzhiZDkzZjlhLmpwZyIsInN0b3JhZ2UiOiJzdG9yZSJ9?version=3&filename=coin-bd-cabinet-8eCQJA-stitched-1600.jpg&signature=31ff66a563a785f41d3e0796f83448d94f010fd7a4bc2e96dc3c2d39bf429ba1
Lucius Verus, AR Denarius
161 CE, Rome mint
IMP L AVREL VERVS AVG, Head of Lucius Verus, bare, right
PROV DEOR TR P COS II, Providentia, draped, standing left, holding globe on extended right hand and  cornucopiae in left hand
18.5mm, 3.47 grams
RIC III Marcus Aurelius 463
  • Like 10

That is a great coin @Egryand welcome to the forum!
I've only got one rather sad looking Lucius Verus but I will show him off anyways since even ugly coins deserve love!

356656613_LuciusVerusAsVictory.png.f7e6926a2b61d00c8a60ae574c5b5e03.png

Lucius Verus, AE As. AD 161-169. 9.34 g. Struck AD 165-166. Rome. L VERVS AVG ARM PARTH MAX, laureate head right. / TR POT VI IMP III COS II around, S-C across fields, Victory, holding palm branch, standing front, looking left, erecting trophy with shield at its base. RIC 1438; Cohen 19

• Like 12

• Benefactor

My two other Lucius Verus coins, in addition to the Parthian captive denarius I already posted above.

Lucius Verus AR Denarius 161-162 AD. Obv. Bare head right, IMP L AUREL VERVS AVG/ Rev. Providentia standing left holding globe and cornucopiae, PROV DEOR TR P II COS II. RIC III 482, RSC II 155. 16 mm., 3.59 g.

image.thumb.jpeg.cb516680247c21cc83e1f45ec46edd83.jpeg

Lucius Verus AR Didrachm 161-166 AD, Caesarea, Cappadocia. Obv. Bare head right, ΑΥΤΟΚΡ ΟΥΗΡΟϹ ϹƐΒΑϹΤΟϹ / Rev. Mt. Argaeus (or cult image of same), surmounted by statue of Helios standing three-quarters left with long scepter in left hand and globe in right; flames to left and right on sides of mountain; animal [deer?] bounding left at bottom far left of mountain in front of large rock; tree in front of large rock at bottom far right; smaller rock dotted with trees[?] at bottom center; ΥΠΑ-ΤΟϹ Β [= COS II].  RPC [Roman Provincial Coinage] Online Vol. IV.3 7027 (temp.) [rev. var.] (see https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/7027);  Sydenham 352 [rev. var.] [Sydenham, E., The Coinage of Caesarea in Cappadocia (London 1933)]; Metcalf, Caesarea 131a [rev. var.] [Metcalf, W.E., The Silver Coinage of Cappadocia, Vespasian-Commodus. ANSNNM (American Numismatic Society, Numismatic Notes & Monographs) No. 166 (New York 1996)]; Metcalf Hoard 694-718 & PL 39-40 [rev. var.] [see id.]; SNG von Aulock 6438 [rev. var.] [Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Deutschland, Sammlung Hans Von Aulock, Vol. 2: Caria, Lydia, Phrygia, Lycia, Pamphylia (Berlin 1962)]. 20 mm., 6.70 g., 6 h.

image.jpeg.837d836d46aab8d647d512ce3464f090.jpeg

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

Roman Egypt, Alexandria. Lucius Verus, AD 161-169. Billon Tetradrachm (22.2mm, 13.76g, 12h). Dated RY 4 (AD 163/164). Obv: Λ ΑVΡΗΛΙΟϹ ΟVΗΡΟϹ ϹЄΒ; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: Tyche seated left on throne, holding rudder and cornucopia; L-Δ (date) to upper left. Ref: Köln –; Dattari (Savio) 3677 var. (laureate); K&G 39.82 var. (same); Emmett 2363.4. Very Fine, deeply toned and attractive. From the New Orleans Collection, purchased from Nilus Coins (April 2010). Ex Classical Numismatic Group 109, Lot 483.

image.jpeg.8550a79255d8f7429fd3021e64a1b26d.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

11 minutes ago, Edessa said:

Roman Egypt, Alexandria. Lucius Verus, AD 161-169. Billon Tetradrachm (22.2mm, 13.76g, 12h). Dated RY 4 (AD 163/164). Obv: Λ ΑVΡΗΛΙΟϹ ΟVΗΡΟϹ ϹЄΒ; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: Tyche seated left on throne, holding rudder and cornucopia; L-Δ (date) to upper left. Ref: Köln –; Dattari (Savio) 3677 var. (laureate); K&G 39.82 var. (same); Emmett 2363.4. Very Fine, deeply toned and attractive. From the New Orleans Collection, purchased from Nilus Coins (April 2010). Ex Classical Numismatic Group 109, Lot 483.

image.jpeg.8550a79255d8f7429fd3021e64a1b26d.jpeg

What an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous image! It's breathtakingly beautiful! I really love how deep the black is, and the overall monochrome look is very, very stylish.

• Like 1

Nice L. Verus! 

Here's my favorite Lucius Verus entry in my "captives collection" (I'd love to have one like @Qcumbor's!), although the photo doesn't quite capture it. That's Rome's "ally" Armenia sitting there (some might argue it's more a "personification" than a captive, but she's in the classic "mourning" captive pose):

CONSERVATORI-Lucius-Verus-Sestertius-Victory-Over-Armenia-3.png

Video available here
Roman Imperial. Lucius Verus (161-169 AD) AE Sestertius (25.4g, 34mm, 11h). temp. Marcus Aurelius (Augustus, 161-180 AD) Rome mint, 164 AD.
Obv: L AVREL VERVS AVG ARMENIACVS. Laureate, draped bust of Lucius Verus right, seen from behind.
Rev: VICT AVG TR P IIII IMP II COS II / S-C across fields. Victory standing to right, holding trophy in both hands over Armenian captive seated at foot.
Ref: RIC III (Aurelius) 1410, cf. 1408-1409. See also [laureate or bare head?]: Cohen 334-5; Banti 191-5; RCV 5377; Goebl MIR 18, 86.
Prov: ArtCoins Roma (now, Bertolami Fine Arts) (30 Jan 2013) E8, 904 (part of) [Uncertain, to confirm, cannot find it indexed]

What I love about the L. Verus / M. Aurelius Armenian-Parthian captives series is that Rome considered Armenia an ally, and the Romans putatively liberated Armenia from invading Parthian overlords (Vologases IV). And yet “she” (Armenia, like most Roman national personifications, is female) is depicted as a captive in the same mourning pose as Judaea and Dacia before her. We get a special glimpse here into the Roman attitude toward their friends: They can be friends as long as they are subjugated and submit to Roman domination and public humiliation. 

From the Roman perspective, “Victory over Armenia” was not inconsistent with friendship and alliance.

EDIT: By the way, here's my L. Verus Parthian captive -- it's passed through 1 or 2 pairs of hands around here, so it may be recognized by some!

Lucius-Verus-AR-Denarius-Parthia-Captive.png Their M. AVR. friends:  1dUxgmF.jpg   

Marcus-Aurelius-Armenia-Denarius.png

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 12