Ancient Disaster at Sea

LONGINUS

• Benefactor

I thought I’d post a reference to an ancient storm which devastated a Roman fleet in 255 BC.

Here are my ancient ship coins and I’d love to see yours.

image.jpeg.4f6f1e8e62abf4a1e99dc4452314d5e7.jpeg

Check out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_withdrawal_from_Africa_(255_BC)

Also:

I’m hoping for the best for folks in the path of Hurricane Ian.

May you and your families come through it okay.

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 17

Roman Egypt, Alexandria. Nero, AD 54-68. Billon Tetradrachm (22mm, 11.9g). Dated RY 13 (AD 66/67). Obv: NЄΡΩ KΛΑV ΚΑΙΣ ΣЄΒ ΓЄΡ ΑV; Radiate head left with Aegis, L-IΓ in field below chin. Rev: ΣЄBAΣTO ΦOPOΣ; Galley sailing right; dolphins below. Ref: RPC 5296; Milne 273; Dattari 263; Emmett 121.

image.jpeg.f12e100da9ee712744a5f127ec003788.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 3

tibaug06.jpg.60b33a8bef25f64fa1ddd03763542adc.jpg

TIBERIUS & DIVUS AUGUSTUS AR tetradrachm. Alexandria, Egypt. TIBEPIOY KAISAR SEBASTOS, laureate head right. Reverse - QEOS SEBASTOS, radiate head of Divus Augustus right. Milne 38, Koln 48. 24mm, 8.3g.

Likely a sea-find, this coin is lighter than its contemporaries due to leaching of the baser metals.

Ex: Incitatus coins, 2011, and their description.  I purchased it mainly because I wanted a Tiberius Alexandria and the chance of having a Roman shipwreck coin.

• Like 5

image.jpeg.f68e177600758b48b1725bb845841b27.jpeg

Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Elagabal
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 218/219 AD
Material: Silver
Diameter: 20mm
Weight: 2.59g
Mint: Rome
Reference: RIC IV Elagabalus 188d, Rare

Obverse: The right-facing draped, cuirassed bust of Elagabalus with a laurel wreath can be seen. The inscription reads: ANTONINVS PIVS FEL AVG for Antoninus Pius Felix Augustus. Reverse: You can see a ship’s galley with a helmsman and seven oarsmen. A standard and an acrostolium are depicted on the stern. There is a furling sail at the bow. The inscription reads: FELICITAS TEMP for Felicitas temporum (fortunate, successful times).

I dont like ships.... I get too fast seasick. Remember my last holiday Red Sea - a diving day - all people happy diving and I am the complete day under deck at the toilet. Fantastic ^^ day. 
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1