Confirming mint/year for a Sasanian Drachma and an Umayyad Dirham

Sol_Invictus

Hello everyone!  This is my first post on this forum, which I have found to be an extremely useful source of information.  I am still new to collecting ancient and world historical coins--I have been collecting for about a year, and have a modest set of 50 or so inexpensive coins (median cost of ~30 USD). For my first collection theme I've been trying to obtain approximately one coin per century per major culture (as arbitrarily defined by myself), spanning in time from the earliest production of coins to the modern day, and covering all geographic regions.  I've already broken the one coin per century rule for a few cultures, and I can see myself veering off into a deeper dive on some types of coins, but this is only a rough guideline that I'm following initially.  One of the things I've found enjoyable about collecting coins from all times/places is the opportunity to learn about different cultures, and the styles of coins and scripts that they used.  I also find the challenge of identifying coins that have not been fully attributed to be quite enjoyable.  Below are two coins that I've acquired for which only rough identifications were provided by the dealers. I was wondering if anyone on this forum who is more knowledgeable on these coin types could weigh in on the provisional determination of the mint and years that I have attempted for each of these.

The first coin is a Sasanian Drachma of Khusro II which I guess was poorly struck, and/or struck with rather worn dies. The mass is approximately 4g (I still need to get a scale that is precise to 0.01 grams, this is rounded to the nearest gram), the diameter is 32 mm, and the die axis is 2h. I obtained this from a brick-and-mortar coin shop, and the store keeper said they in turn had acquired the coin at the ANA coin show. Portions of the date and mint are visible on the reverse. My best guess for the date is regnal year 8 (599 CE), and for the mint is WYH (Veh-Kavad). These are my own photos - sorry if the lighting/focus makes it difficult to read. It's not much clearer in hand, or through a magnifying lens.

Sassanian_Khusro_II.jpg.4a4cd9a0c7e0625b7e23b790c95b8941.jpg

The second coin is an Umayyad Dirham which I obtained from the e-bay dealer Frascatius (2.83 g, 26.4 mm, 3h). The relevant portions of the obverse are reasonably clear, and it looks to me like this is the Wasit mint and the date appears to be 93 AH (713 - 714 CE; time of al-Walid I). 

Umayyad_Dirham.jpg.4eefefa5fc985ef32e13b1682b3ec8b3.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!  I'm also happy to see anyone else's Drachmas, Dirhams, or whatever you'd like to post.

• Like 5

Very nice Wasit dirham! I like your collecting style - I’m a generalist too. Back in the CoinTalk days, I put together a 200-coin checklist meant to cover roughly a thousand years starting with the dawn of coinage. Maybe you’ll find it interesting/helpful: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/history-checklist-the-ancient-world-in-200-coins.313927/ . (I’m hoping someone will!)

Here’s an obol of the first Sassanid shah, Ardashir I, when he was starting out on his conquests from his base in Persis:

S070XLG.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Severus Alexander said:

Back in the CoinTalk days, I put together a 200-coin checklist meant to cover roughly a thousand years starting with the dawn of coinage. Maybe you’ll find it interesting/helpful: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/history-checklist-the-ancient-world-in-200-coins.313927/ . (I’m hoping someone will!)

Wow, thanks for this list!  This is a very helpful indeed! It looks like I have about 25 of the categories filled in so far, only 175 to go 🙂.

1 hour ago, Severus Alexander said:

Here’s an obol of the first Sassanid shah, Ardashir I, when he was starting out on his conquests from his base in Persis:

That's a very interesting coin!  I like the bust on this one - the detail on the beard, and the eyebrows is nice.