Roma - did I win?

kirispupis

• Benefactor

Kind of weird results at today's Italo Vecchi auction. This is the first time I bid on one of their live auctions, though my bids were all entered the day before.

I wound up bidding on four coins. On one, the bids exceeded mine before the live auction started. On another, the live bid went over what I remembered bidding. So, I know I didn't get those two.

I know this sounds bad, but I forgot what max bid I'd placed on the remaining two coins. I remember debating what to offer, and I think the hammer prices on both may be my exact max bids. Unfortunately, when I log in - it doesn't show whether I won the coins. It just shows what the current bid was before the live auction started. It also doesn't show my max bid. I had a meeting during the live portion and was therefore unable to attend.

When I refresh the page, I briefly see the two coins I may have won highlighted in green, and the two that I know I lost highlighted in red, but I haven't been quick enough to click 'print screen' in time because it's a split second. I also tried looking at the page source to no avail.

I know the simple answer is to just email them, but due to the time difference I'm sure they'll just get back to me tomorrow, when presumably the invoice will go out and I'll know for sure.

This seems like a bug on their side, but does anyone know a definitive way to determine whether my bid was the one that procured the coin?

I'll be very excited to win these two coins if I indeed won them. 

• Like 1

• Benefactor

@kirispupis, as long as your bids were acknowledged at the time you made them, I don't think you have any reason to be concerned. In the Roma Auction XXV the other day, my one winning bid didn't appear anywhere in my account information after the auction got past that lot number, until the next business day, UK time.  (I wasn't monitoring the website during the final bidding.) And I received an email with the invoice the day after that; they're quite speedy in sending them out.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1

• Benefactor
21 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

@kirispupis, as long as your bids were acknowledged at the time you made them, I don't think you have any reason to be concerned. In the Roma Auction XXV the other day, my one winning bid didn't appear anywhere in my account information after the auction got past that lot number, until the next business day, UK time.  (I wasn't monitoring the website during the final bidding.) And I received an email with the invoice the day after that; they're quite speedy in sending them out.

Thanks Donna. Note that I'm absolutely not saying there's any wrong-doing on Roma's part. I'm confident that my bid was counted. The problem is I can't remember what that bid was. On the coin I'm most interested in, I debated between 360 pounds to 400 pounds. I think I chose 400 pounds given the weak pound. The coin went for 400 pounds. However, since my max bids aren't displayed anywhere, I don't know whether that was my bid.

I guess I'll just have to stay tuned until tomorrow.

• Like 1

Similar things happen in several auctions. I had the same with Noonans today - the information is great during the auction, but there's a twilight zone between it ending and the invoice going out (not long after, thankfully). With TimeLine, it's difficult to determine how you did if you only bid live and didn't bookmark the lot. With Roma, you can't bookmark the lots...

• Like 2

• Benefactor

kirispupis, wait until tomorrow or possibly Thursday.  You should receive an invoice for your winnings.  Roma is pretty prompt about this.

I had one bid in today's auction, submitted in pre-floor bidding.  It did not survive, which is okay with me.  There are plenty of other fish in the sea.

• Like 2

• Benefactor

And the verdict is...

I won one of the coins and lost the other. However, I did win my top priority for the auction, so I'm doing the happy dance.

audoleon.jpg.4802eff15c46a0c89c30ca9dfedafaf5.jpg

This fulfills one of the few Pri 1 coins I still have on my list. It was also only one of two left that are common (the other was also in this Roma auction, but went too high and I never even bid on it)

I now have only ten coins remaining on my Pri 1 list, and I haven't added a coin to it in roughly a year.

It will fit well with my other Paeonian coins.

Audoleon's uncle, Patraos

patraos.jpg.dad5df5009f2b65fe848e168ab56f662.jpg

Audoleon's son, Leon

Leon.jpg.8c864fc9bca642c20631c4e7d1fff7a0.jpg

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1