Nothing Interesting...

The Pontian

Pretty much depends on what your goals are and how is your wallet.
I managed to add 90% of the coins that were on my wish list since I started collecting. Of course, I often see unknown coins (for me) that grab my attention.
Just saw a Nerva sestertius - rare, interesting reverse, fantastic artistry, exceptional condition.
Opening bid is 1500 EUR though. Is it interesting for me? to watch it, yes. To bid on it? nope.

• Like 2

• Benefactor

Personally I find lots of Greek coins coming up at auction that I wouldn't mind owning, if only I had the wealth of a Silicon Valley billionaire or even millionaire.  But then, having that much money would take the rewards that come from researching coins and getting them at "affordable", for me, prices.  

There seems to be a batch of imitative pharaonic and Athenian owls that are parading into the market from what seems to be a moderate size hoard.  That's a good way to mark time.  Also I have a big ticket project coming up with the house, so major numismatic acquisitions are definitely on hold for the foreseeable future. 

But right now, on the auction market, I don't see anything that really grabs my attention, Greek-wise.  Occasionally and interesting Byzantine bronze shows up on eBay and elsewhere, and if it is below $50 I might actually go ahead and buy it.  

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Restitutor said:

I'm anxiously awaiting Harlan Berks 221 sale! Website says it comes online today but given the time, wondering if it'll be tomorrow. But only for the Greek coins, definitely don't look at any Roman coins!! 😁

All the good stuff was already sold before it was listed for general consumption 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Restitutor said:

I'm anxiously awaiting Harlan Berks 221 sale! Website says it comes online today but given the time, wondering if it'll be tomorrow. But only for the Greek coins, definitely don't look at any Roman coins!! 😁

For some reason I still get excited for the new buy-or-bids to drop even though I know the prices are now crazy and anyone buying Greek or Roman coins from them is liable to end up on Aaron Berk's own podcast as "Doofus of the Week".

All the buy-or-bids from this year have been pretty disappointing in that respect. It used to be that if you got in early, there would be some deals to snatch up. Even though I'm consistently early to the buy-or-bid, when the only stuff that is sold was sold before it went live (as El Cazador mentions), there's just not really any good deals like there used to be. It also seems like there are more auction flips than previously too, often fairly recent ones with substantial mark-ups.

The buy-or-bids from back in 2020 and even 2021 were much better. I don't think it can even be blamed on the general increases in prices we've seen over that time since we're all fairly adapted to the "new normal" and if I see a coin I like that is at a good or fair price relative to auctions, I'd buy it regardless of whether it was much cheaper pre-pandemic.

• Like 1