WORLD COINS free-for-all - anything and everything, post 'em up!

CPK

46 minutes ago, Furryfrog02 said:

Hey! I had the first bid on that. I was really hoping to win it... 😡

But I'm glad that someone deserving got it 🙂

Oops! 😯 Well, I hope you can find a replacement soon! 😉 

Were you successful on anything in that auction?

I actually was not aware I had even won anything until an envelope suddenly showed up in my mailbox with the coins! Needless to say, it was a pleasant surprise (the more so because I hadn't even paid yet!)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CPK said:

Oops! 😯 Well, I hope you can find a replacement soon! 😉 

Were you successful on anything in that auction?

I actually was not aware I had even won anything until an envelope suddenly showed up in my mailbox with the coins! Needless to say, it was a pleasant surprise (the more so because I hadn't even paid yet!)

Nope. Was beat out on everything. Oh well.

• Benefactor

Speaking of "inaugural"-type medals, once the date of Charles III's coronation is announced, perhaps he might consider starting a new fashion trend by adopting the attire, wig, and mustache worn by the previous King Charles at his own English coronation. Here is my example of the official Charles II silver English coronation medal, issued in 1661, the earliest in my collection of English/British coronation medals:

England, Charles II, Official AR English Coronation Medal, 1661, by Thomas Simon. Obv. Crowned and draped bust right, CAROLVS. II. D.G. ANG. SCO. FR. ET. HI. REX. / Rev. The King enthroned, left, holding scepter with right hand, crowned by Peace, flying right above, EVERSO. MISSVS. SVCCVRRERE. SECLO. XXIII. APR. 1661. 29 mm. Eimer 221 & Pl. 26 [Eimer, C., British Commemorative Medals and their Values (2nd ed. 2010)]; MI i p. 472/76 & Pl. xlv, no. 725 [Medallic Illustrations of the History of Great Britain and Ireland, Vol. I  p. 472, No. 76 (1885, reprinted 1969)]; Wollaston p. 6, no. v & ill. 5 [Henry Wollaston, British Official Medals for Coronations and Jubilees (1978)]. Purchased from Historical Medallions, UK, 31 Jan. 2022.

image.jpeg.eec1b79a650bedd260fe6030099fa080.jpeg
There was also a separate and much scarcer medal issued a decade earlier, in 1651, on the occasion of Charles II's Scottish coronation at Scone, under very different circumstances. I don't have an example of that one.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 9