Bad Luck or just an Auction House Error ...

The Pontian

I have participated in the latest Roma Numismatics auction of "Anders Collection " . I bid on a coin in the last seconds but my bid wasn't accepted because "this Lot was already closed" but IT WASN'T !! I have done a big research on this coin and I wanted this coin badly . I am rally disappointed .... 😭😭 What do you think ?

1507942032_romanumismaticslogo.png.604fedfbe247914978e56bbaa6e0d874.png

Edited by The Pontian

I think: if the lot was not so important to you - forget it. But if the lot was important to you and you are really annoyed - you should write to the auction house (Roma always replies quite quickly) and describe your problem and your dissatisfaction.

Because what do you want to know from us about this case - the technical or administrative background of which we know zero - apart from some speculation (!). And that would not be fair to the auction house - which actually works seriously.

This is my opinion.
No offense.

😉 

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Pontian said:

But surely It is very disappointing 

I honestly don't know.

I once had a mistake with Oslo Myntgallery - I spoke to the people in charge - I thought they made a mistake. And in the end I had to admit that the error was sitting in front of the computer. He was with me.

All of us here don't know which lot it is, we weren't there, we didn't watch you. We don't know what your screen looked like, we don't know what you did - in short, we don't know anything.

I will therefore be careful not to take sides. Not for you and not for the auction house.

I think - my opinion - no one can say "Oh dear, we feel sorry for you. That's rude of Roma!" - if we don't know anything.

But that's my opinion 😉 

• Like 2

It depends how close you left it. It could be the counter on your browser. I often have auctions open on my laptop and my phone just in case one crashes, and if I've had the lot open a while, the clocks are not quite in sync - maybe a second or so difference. One will be on time, one will be behind. If I refresh them fairly close to the closing time, it gets them back in sync.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I honestly don't know.

I once had a mistake with Oslo Myntgallery - I spoke to the people in charge - I thought they made a mistake. And in the end I had to admit that the error was sitting in front of the computer. He was with me.

All of us here don't know which lot it is, we weren't there, we didn't watch you. We don't know what your screen looked like, we don't know what you did - in short, we don't know anything.

I will therefore be careful not to take sides. Not for you and not for the auction house.

I think - my opinion - no one can say "Oh dear, we feel sorry for you. That's rude of Roma!" - if we don't know anything.

But that's my opinion 😉 

@Prieure de Sion Of course ! I know and I don't want anybody to take my side . I just wanted to express my feeling for losing the coin with an unexpected way .

I am sorry for losing the coin. I don't think you can repair this.

I can only assume there was a network issue on your side or Roma's so your bid wasn't registered.

About 1 year ago I was in an auction, a coin I was interested in was live, current bid was 20 EUR so I clicked Bid. The window (not my PC, just the auction window) froze for about 15-20 seconds. I couldn't see other bids, there was no "going once, going twice" and when the  screen came back to normal the auction was on the next coin.

But when checking my bids, I was the winner of the lot with a hammer of 34 EUR. It was good (a modest Aelius denarius) but I have no idea how happy would I have been if 34 was 100.

No idea if that was a glitch on the website or on my side but I suspect this one was on the website.

On several other occasions I was hitting Bid, vigurously, but the click wasn't registered and the coin was sold. Was it my mouse? (a possibility as I had several issues with it). My connection? or an overload on the auction house system? Can't be sure.

My personal strategy (generally speaking, not related to Roma or any other house)

- If I am in an auction where I want a coin as a major priority, I always keep my phone online at the auction also. Better safe than sorry

- I don't rely on very last second bids. I am not atechnical but I don't fully understand how the auction IT system works. 99% of my bids are live, but not in the last second

Here is a situation that annoyed me badly, and I think it's worse than OP. Not related as I know Roma are a serious house.

image.png.b6a920a0aa49840b6e998e09eab4e9c4.png

My prebid - accepted, confirmation via email, all perfect.
When the auction was live, I remember it was strange - there was a guy leading the auction, speaking. Not a robot like on most of Biddr auctions. And in a foreign language.
Lot 761 came up next, 230 going once going twice sold. Yaaay!
Actually I received no invoice and I discussed with the auction house. The idiots staff replied to me stating that somebody outbid me. OK, but how? and how come his "larger bid" is smaller than my approved prebid?

Reply - this is an error on our side and we are willing to give you a discount of (wait for it) 2% of our fees for the next auction.
Yaaaay! so 2% of their fees (15-18%) - WOW! what a BARGAIN!
Suffice to say I ignore these idiots gentlemen after this auction.

Edited by ambr0zie

• Benefactor

@The Pontianmy guess is it was a client timing issue. The timer on your computer probably wasn't in sync with the server for a variety of reasons. If Roma receives multiple mails similar to yours, they'll probably raise it with the auction platform (Roma hires a separate company that runs the bidding). I highly doubt they'll change the auction results, since that wouldn't be fair to the other party.

Personally, if I really want the coin, then I put my highest bid in no later than 30 seconds before. This is a very strong bid. For lower priority coins I'm hoping to grab at a decent price, I'll put in a bid maybe at the last second since I won't be disturbed if I mess up (which has happened).

One case somewhat similar to yours occurred at a different auction that had several coins I was after. The day before, I double checked the number of hours until the items went up for live bidding. I did place pre-bids on several of them, though I intended to go much higher. The day of, I logged in two hours early to check the status...and....everything had been auctioned off! The time they gave was completely wrong, and everything went for lower bids than I planned.

In my case, I haven't touched that auction house since. It was the first time that I've dealt with them, and I only participated in that auction because these particular coins had an excellent provenance. This particular auction house has had many issues with fakes, so I didn't trust them with anything else. In terms of Roma, though, I bid often there and trust them.

• Like 1

This happened to me a few Roma auctions ago. I was trying to bid on a nice lot with a Salonina SPQR ant in, and received the same message (that the lot has already closed). There were about 10 seconds left on the clock.

The irritating thing is, I would have won it (and for a decent price).

Since then, I always bid on Roma lots with around 20 seconds left.

• Like 1

I've had this happen to me at both Leu and CNG before and as kirispupis mentions it's usually a client timing issue. I now try to refresh the page a minute before lots hammer just to be sure the clock is synchronised and double-check I haven't been inadvertently logged out or anything.

The issues I've had with CNG have usually gone the other way though - it shows me as winning with 0 seconds on the clock and then a late bid comes in or I refresh the page after it hammers to see I lost.

• Like 1