Alphabet game GAME OVER

expat

Edessa

normal_Gordianus_III_5.jpg.20b4755bdcfce1d23cfc17e630782f4e.jpg

Gordianus III
Macedonia, Edessa
Obv.: AVT K M ANTΩNIOC ΓOPΔIANOC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev.: ЄΔЄCCAIΩN, Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Nike and parazonium, crowned by Tyche standing behind her and holding cornucopiae
AE, 24mm, 7.02g
Ref.: Varbanov 3, 3658

• Like 11

Elephant from Ekbatana.

Phraates II Chalkous, 132-127BC
image.png.c683a392c04280aecd5db6a18bb67909.png
Ekbatana, Parthian Kingdom. Bronze, 15mm, 1.68g. Diademed, short-bearded bust left, no symbols, circular border of pellets. Elephant advancing right on exergual line; no border; legends to left and right, four-line Greek inscription ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΜΕΓΑΛΟΥ ΑΡΣΑΚΟΥ ΘΕΟΠΑΤΟΡΟΣ (Of Great King Arsaces, of Divine Descent) (Sellwood 16.29).

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 11

E for Elagabal

89a2a68f8bfb408ba90f4bd198b0b5a1.jpg

Elagabal (16/05/218-12/03/222) - Tetradrachme de billon de l'atelier d'Antioche, 219
AYT K M A ANTΩNEINOC CEB, Buste lauré, drapé et cuirassé à droite, vu par l'avant
ΔHMAPX.EΞ.YΠATOC TOB (2°consulat =219). Aigle de face, ailes déployées, la tête à gauche, tenant une couronne dans son bec. Entre ses pattes une étoile. Δ | Ε dans le champ

14,11 g

Ref : Prieur #251, McAlee #762 (rare), Sear #3096

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 12

E...Elymais

normal_togehter__2_-removebg-preview.png.9cae30f4f3b3a1f065dd538ae00ed497.png

Orodes III, 2nd Century A.D., AE Drachm 3.5 grams
Obv: Bearded bust facing left, wearing a diademed tiara ornamented with anchor. Pellet and crescent above an anchor to the right.
Rev: Radiate and draped bust of Artemis right. Greek legend around bust retrograde
van't Haaff 16.1.1-3A

Attributed by BobL

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

E is for... Entella tetradrachm, which Eventually arrived.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also in Sicily, E is for Eryx, from where this Execrable litra hails:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Ere-mentioned Eryx was home to a famous temple, later commemorated on this coin:

spacer.png

Also, the Egnatia and Egnatuleia gentes, some of who served as moneyers:

spacer.png

spacer.png

We've had Elephants, but probably not an Ear, even an Eroded one like this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Our old Pannonian Playmates, the Eraviscans, are worthy of a mention:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Unfortunately, the Eravicsi themselves didn't seem to usethe letter E, but here's another reverse, for good measure, just because I like the colour and texture:

spacer.png

The Mediterranean city of Emporion (near Girona in Catalunya/Spain) issued many coins:

spacer.png

Espana issued a modern coin reproducing the ancient design (among other ancient respins):

spacer.png

Emerita, founded for retired Augustan soldiers, is the modern-day Spanish Merida:

spacer.png

And that's more than Enough 🙂

ATB,
Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, akeady said:

E is for... Entella tetradrachm, which Eventually .

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also in Sicily, E is for Eryx, from where this Execrable litra hails:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Ere-mentioned Eryx was home to a famous temple, later commemorated on this coin:

spacer.png

Also, the Egnatia and Egnatuleia gentes, some of who served as moneyers:

spacer.png

spacer.png

We've had Elephants, but probably not an Ear, even an Eroded one like this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Our old Pannonian Playmates, the Eraviscans, are worthy of a mention:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Unfortunately, the Eravicsi themselves didn't seem to usethe letter E, but here's another reverse, for good measure, just because I like the colour and texture:

spacer.png

The Mediterranean city of Emporion (near Girona in Catalunya/Spain) issued many coins:

spacer.png

Espana issued a modern coin reproducing the ancient design (among other ancient respins):

spacer.png

Emerita, founded for retired Augustan soldiers, is the modern-day Spanish Merida:

spacer.png

And that's more than Enough 🙂

ATB,
Aidan.

Envious of your seemingly endless examples

• Benefactor

Here are ten coins depicting one or more elephants -- five Roman Republican, four Roman Imperial, and one Roman Provincial. The footnotes are largely omitted except for the one to the first coin, which explains the connection between elephants and the Caecilii Metelli family -- an explanation that also applies to the other Roman Republican coins I'm posting here: 

Roman Republic, Anonymous [probably Caecilius Metellus Diadematus or Caecilius Metellus Delmaticus], AR Denarius 128 BCE. Obv. Head of Roma right, wearing winged helmet, * [monogram for value: XVI asses] behind; otherwise anepigraphic  / Rev. Pax or Juno driving biga galloping right, holding reins and long scepter in left hand and branch (olive or laurel) in right hand; elephant head under horses, facing right with trunk curving down, wearing bell dangling from neck; ROMA in exergue. Crawford 262/1, RSC I Caecilia 38 (ill.), BMCRR 1044, Sear RCV I 138, Sydenham 496. 18.5 mm., 3.89 g., 11 h.* image.jpeg.dfab21276226099ed742627ce4a767c0.jpeg

*One of only four anonymous Roman Republican denarii after ca. 154 BCE (see also Crawford 222/1, 287/1, & 350A/2), and the only one of the four that can be identified with near-certainty. See Crawford Vol. I at p. 287, explaining that the elephant head with dangling bell depicted on the reverse signals that the moneyer belonged to the Caecilii Metelli family, and recalls the victory of L. Caecilius Metellus, Cos. 251, over Hasdrubal at Panormus in 250 BCE, and the capture of Hasdrubal’s elephants. (See also the denarii depicting elephants or elephant heads issued by, e.g., M. Metellus Q.f. [127 BCE, Crawford 263/1a-1b], C. Caecilius Metullus Caprarius [125 BCE, Crawford 269/1]; Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius [81 BCE, Crawford 374/1]; and Q. Caecilius Metullus Pius Scipio [47-46 BCE, Crawford 459/1]. Therefore, it is generally accepted that this denarius was issued by either L. Caecilius Metellus Diadematus (Cos. 117), or L. Caecilius Metellus Delmaticus (Cos. 119), with the authorities seemingly preferring the former, given that his three brothers all held the moneyership. (Id.; see also Sear RCV I at p. 99; Harold B. Mattingly, “Roman Republican Coinage ca. 150-90 B.C.,” in From Coins to History (2004), pp. 199-226 at p. 219 n. 75.) 

The uncertainty in identifying the goddess in the biga arises from the inability to identify definitively the branch she holds: an olive branch would mean that the goddess is Pax, and a laurel branch would mean that she is Juno Regina. (See Crawford at p. 287.)  Grueber (in BMCRR) and Seaby (in RSC) identify the goddess as Pax; Crawford and Sear note both possible identifications.

Roman Republic, M. Caecilius Q.f. Metelllus, AR Denarius, 127 BC (Crawford, RSC, Sear), ca. 126 BCE (Mattingly, op. cit. at p. 258, Table 3), Rome Mint. Obv. Head of Roma right in winged helmet, star on helmet flap, ROMA upwards behind, * (XVI ligature, mark of value = 16 asses) below chin / Rev. Macedonian shield, decorated with elephant head in center wearing bell, M METELLVS Q F around beginning at 6:00, all within laurel wreath. Crawford 263/1(a), Sydenham 480, RSC I Caecilia 29, Russo RBW 1064, Sear RCV I 139 (ill.). 19.5 mm., 3.80 g., 9 hr. [Footnote omitted.]

image.jpeg.57abb22d733b8b633cec1878c3090545.jpeg

Roman Republic, C. Caecilius Metellus Caprarius, AR Denarius 125 BCE. Obv. Head of Roma right wearing winged Phrygian helmet with crest in form of head and beak of eagle (i.e, griffin); behind, ROMA downwards; before, mark of value * (= XVI) [off flan] / Rev. Jupiter, crowned with wreath by flying Victory above, in biga of elephants left, holding thunderbolt in left hand and reins in right hand; in exergue, C•METELLVS (ME ligate). 17 mm., 3.90 g. Crawford 269/1, BMCRR I 1180-1182 (& Vol. III Pl. xxx 8), RSC I Caecilia 14, Sear RCV I 145. Purchased from Dix Noonan Webb Auction 253, 13 April 2022, Lot 1247; ex. Spink Numismatic Circular Dec. 1985, No. 8404 at p. 334.*

image.jpeg.51e18c28427306975cb9d01cfe1b5634.jpeg

*The moneyer “is presumably C. Caecilius Metellus Caprarius, Cos. 113” (Crawford Vol. I p. 293), who was born ca. 160 BCE, and served under Scipio Aemilianus at the siege of Numantia in 133 BCE in the Third Punic War; he died sometime after 102 BCE. BMCRR I p. 182 n. 1;  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Caecilius_Metellus_Caprarius.

Roman Republic, Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius, AR Denarius, 81 BCE. Obv. Head of Pietas right, wearing diadem; below chin, stork standing right / Rev. Elephant standing left, wearing bell around neck; in exergue, Q•C•M•P•I [Q. Caecilius Metellus Imperator]. Crawford 374/1, RSC I Caecilia 43, Sear RCV I 301 (ill.), Sydenham 750, BMCRR Spain 43. 18 mm., 3.9 g.*

image.jpeg.380ac327394229c3c88097af67c6ca91.jpeg 

*See Sear RCV I at p. 128: “The issuer strikes as imperator in Northern Italy where he was campaigning on behalf of Sulla. The following year he was to be the dictator’s colleague in the consulship.” See also Crawford Vol. I p. 390: “This issue was produced by Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius, serving as a Sullan commander in the fight against Carrinas, Norbanus and Carbo. The obverse type [of Pietas] . . . alludes to his cognomen, acquired for his part in securing the restoration from exile of his father Q. Caecilius Metullus Numidicus.” The stork depicted in front of Pietas “is an emblem of family piety and an occasional adjunct of the goddess.” Jones, John Melville, A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (London, Seaby, 1990) p. 243, under entry for Pietas.  (Apparently, the Romans believed that the stork demonstrated family loyalty by returning to the same nest every year, and that it took care of its parents in old age.) [Remainder of fn., re elephants, omitted.] 

Roman Republic, Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio, 47/46 BCE, N. Africa, Utica (provincial capital 30 mi. NW of site of Carthage) or mobile military mint traveling with Scipio’s camp [see Sear Imperatorial (CRI), infra at p. 34]. Obv. Laureate head of Jupiter right, Q. METEL around to right, PIVS in exergue (PI ligate)/ Rev. African elephant walking right, SCIPIO above, IMP in exergue. Crawford 459/1, Sear Imperatorial (CRI) 45 (pp. 33-34) [David Sear, The History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators 49-27 BC (1998)], RSC I Caecilia [Babelon] 47 (ill. p. 21), Sear RCV I 1379 (ill. p. 262), RBW Collection 1601 (ill. p. 337), BMCRR Africa 1, Claire Rowan, From Caesar to Augustus (c. 49 BC - AD 14), Using Coins as Sources (Cambridge 2019) at pp. 44-45 & Fig. 2.22. 19.5 mm., 3.78 g. Purchased from Germania Inferior Numismatics, Netherlands, Dec. 2021.*

image.jpeg.f9e993d7a670f4497bd233404eba3220.jpeg 

*Issued by Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio (ca. 95-46 BCE), a great-great-great-grandson of Scipio Africanus [see Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintus_Caecilius_Metellus_Pius_Scipio], and also a member of the Caecilii Metelli family by testamentary adoption [id.]. He issued this coin as the commander-in-chief of the remaining Pompeian forces in North Africa after Pompey’s defeat at Pharsalus and subsequent assassination, leading up to their defeat by Caesar at the Battle of Thapsus (in present-day Tunisia) on 6 Feb. 46 BCE. In CRI at p. 34, Sear states as follows about this coin: “Both stylistically and in volume this coinage stands apart from the rather limited issues in Scipio’s name which can safely be attributed to the provincial capital of Utica (nos. 40-43)/ The inescapable conclusion is that this type, which is in the sole name of the commander-in-chief, is a product of the military mint operating within the security of Scipio’s camp. It would appear to belong to the latter stages of the campaign as the Pompeian army was moving around the province prior to being enticed into the fatal engagement at Thapsus.” 

See Metellus Scipio’s biography in Encyclopedia Britannica, 11th edition, Vol. XVIII, pp. 258-259 (1911):

“QUINTUS CAECILIUS METELLUS PIUS SCIPIO, son of P. Scipio Nasia, was adopted by [Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius (d. ca. 64 BCE), issuer of Crawford 374/1 in 81 BCE, through the latter's will.]. He was accused of bribery in 60 B.C., and defended by Cicero, to whom he had rendered valuable assistance during the Catilinarian conspiracy. In August 52, he became consul through the influence of [his son-in-law] Pompey, who had married his daughter Cornelia [as his fifth wife. Pompey was Cornelia's second husband; her first, the son of Crassus, died at Carrhae.].  In 49 [Metellus Scipio] proposed that Caesar should disband his army within a definite time, under pain of being declared an enemy of the state. Afte the outbreak of the civil war, the province of Syria was assigned to him, and he was about to plunder the temple of Artemis at Ephesus when he was recalled by Pompey. He commanded the centre at Pharsalus, and afterwards went to Africa, where by Cato's influence he received the command. In 46 he was defeated at Thapsus; while endeavoring to escape to Spain he fell into the hands of P. Sittius, and put himself to death. His connexion with two great families gave him importance, but he was selfish and licentious, wanting in personal courage, and his violence drove many from his party.” 

Clare Rowan discusses Metellus Scipio and his coinage, including this type, at length at pp. 42-46 of her book (see citation above): 

“After the defeat at Pharsalus and Pompey's death in Egypt in 48 BC, opposition to Caesar continued in Africa under the command of Metellus Scipio, who had previously commanded forces in Syria. Along with other Pompeian commanders, Scipio was subjected to criticism by the Caesarian side -- in The Civil War Caesar attacked their legitimacy, noting that Scipio (and others) did not wait for the ratification of the appointments by the assembly and left Rome without taking the appropriate auspices, amongst other irregularities (Caes. BCiv. 1.6.6-7). Caesar wrote ‘all rights, divine and human, were thrown into confusion.’ Whether Caesar's accusations are true or not, we find a clear response to them on Scipio's coinage, which display an inordinate emphasis on Scipio's offices, and their legitimacy. . .  [Citing, among other things, obverse references to Jupiter as "underlining Scipio's divine support."]. . . .[Discussion of Scipio's other coins omitted.] Th[e] combination of familial history and contemporary politics can also be seen on Fig. 2.22 [illustration of Crawford 459/1, this type], which has a reverse decorated with an elephant accompanied by the legend SCIPIO IMP. Although one might be tempted to see this as a 'reply' to Caesar's elephant (Fig. 2.1, Crawford 443/1), there is little to support this hypothesis. The elephant had been a symbol of the Metelli since the victory of L. Caecilius Metellus over Hasdrubal at Panormus during the First Punic War in 250 BC, and elephants had previously appeared on the coinage of several moneyers from the family. [See Crawford 262/1, Crawford 263/1a-1b, Crawford 269/1, and Crawford 374/1] . . . . Indeed, Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius [Scipio's father by testamentary adoption] . . . released an issue displaying an elephant with the initials of his name in the exergue: Q.C.M.P.I. (the ‘I’ referring to his title as imperator).” [See Crawford 374/1]. [Portion of fn. re familial elephant connection omitted.] . . . . 

Rowan continues at pp. 45-46: 

“Scipio may have been using an ancestral type in keeping with Republican tradition. Nonetheless, the elephant was a topical motif, particularly since Casear's own elephant issue [Crawford 443/1] was very large, and so others may have interpreted the image within the competing claims of the civil war (particularly if they didn't have an intimate knowledge of Roman elite family symbols). Since the issue was struck in Africa, the image might also have been interpreted as a reference to the elephants of King Juba I, who supported Scipio against Caesar (Dio 43.3.5-4.1). Juba himself released coins with an elephant on the reverse (Fig. 2.24), and so any users of Scipio's currency in Africa may have seen the elephant as a local symbol rather than (or in addition to) a reference to the Roman general."

Titus (son of Vespasian) AR Denarius 80 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M / Rev. Elephant walking left, TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P.  RIC II-1 Titus 115 (2007 ed.); RIC II 22a (1926 ed.); RSC II Titus 303; BMCRE 43; Sear RCV I 2512. 18 mm., 3.12 g. [This type is believed to have been issued in celebration of the opening of the Colosseum.]

image.jpeg.fa23774dc8f6caa71f42ec50b85b37d2.jpeg

Trajan, AE Drachm, Year 15 (111/112 AD), Alexandria, Egypt Mint. Obv. Laureate bust right, nude and with aegis on left shoulder, ΑΥΤ ΤΡΑΙΑΝ ϹЄΒ ΓЄΡΜ ΔΑΚΙΚ / Rev. Emperor (Trajan), laureate and togate, standing in elephant quadriga, right. holding eagle-tipped sceptre and branch; first three elephants with trunks turned down at end and fourth elephant with trunk turned up; in exergue, L IƐ (Year 15).  RPC [Roman Provincial Coinage] Vol. III 4605.4 (2015); RPC Online at https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/4605.4 ; Emmett 462.15 [Emmett, Keith, Alexandrian Coins (Lodi, WI, 2001)]; Dattari (Savio) 769 [Savio, A. ed., Catalogo completo della collezione Dattari Numi Augg. Alexandrini (Trieste, 2007)]; BMC 16 Alexandria 512 [Poole, Reginald Stuart, A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 16, Alexandria (London, 1892)]; Milne 669 at p. 19 [Milne, J.G., Catalogue of Alexandrian Coins (Oxford 1933, reprint with supplement by Colin M. Kraay, 1971)]. 33.5 mm., 21.26 g. Purchased from Odysseus- Numismatique, Montpellier, France, June 2021.

image.jpeg.b4b51aecd78f71afc0acaf5a98e2bc8a.jpeg

Antoninus Pius AE As, 148 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XII / Rev. Elephant walking left, MV-NIFICENTIA AVG; in exergue COS IIII/S C in two lines. RIC III 863, Sear RCV II 4308 (var.), BMCRE 1840. 29 mm., 10.4 g. (Issued to commemorate games and spectacles held to celebrate 900th anniversary of Rome.)

image.jpeg.51d12ae871c330c19a4d4393fd1dc000.jpeg

Septimius Severus, AR Denarius 197 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VIII / Rev. Elephant advancing right, MVNIFICENTIA AVG. RIC IV-1 82, RSC III 348, Sear RCV II 6317. 18 mm., 3.32 g.

image.jpeg.9564d25f43e6b847635555900c5c2b58.jpeg

Philip I AR Antoninianus, ca. 247/48 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Radiate, draped, & cuirassed bust right, IMP PHILIPPVS AVG/ Rev. Elephant walking left, bearing driver holding goad, AETERNITAS AVGG. RIC IV-3 58, RSC IV 17, Sear RCV III 8921. 23 mm., 4.2 g.  (Issued in connection with 1,000th anniversary of founding of Rome.)

image.jpeg.92024410627a5950e4b8edcde5d478c5.jpeg

To save some space, I am omitting a number of coins showing only an elephant headdress rather than a live elephant or elephants.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 8
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

E is for Euainetos. Behold this staggeringly amazing decadrachm.

(Sadly not, it’s just a little hemidrachm, but it is by him, signed between the dolphins!)

SICILY. Syracuse. Second Democracy (ca. 466-405 BC). AR hemidrachm (16mm, 1.87g. Signed by Euainetos, ca. 410-405 BC. Charioteer driving fast quadriga right, Nike flying left above to crown driver; two facing dolphins in exergue with E (die engraver's signature) between / ΣΥΡΑΚΟΣΙΟΝ, head of Arethusa left, hair in sphendone, two dolphins around. SNG ANS 305. HGC 2, 1367. Signed by one of the most renowned engravers in antiquity. 

BCFF17D2-B52D-49D7-9DB6-F152EEAD87BE.jpeg

E3839847-23EB-488D-A54A-0FB8D5BA8BB8.jpeg

• Like 12

2 Cistophori from Ephesos

normal_G_272_Ephesos.jpg.fd7b76e4209ff3bee59b39d51980f0e9.jpg

Ionia, Ephesos
Cistophoric Tetradrachm
Obv.: Serpent emerging from cista mystica with raised lid, all within ivy wreath with fruits.
Rev.: Two snakes coiled around a bow case, piloi of the Dioskouroi surmounted by stars flanking, ΕΦΕ to left, snake coiled with head right below.
Ag, 28mm, 12.12g
Ref.: DCA -; Kleiner-Noe Series -; SNG Copenhagen -; SNG France -.

normal_G_405.jpg.692c02171113e8474c3fe8ab0ca7f490.jpg

Ionia, Ephesos
Cistophor (70-71 BC). Dated CY 64
Obv: Cista mystica with serpent; all within ivy wreath.
Rev: Bowcase between two serpents; EΦΕ to left. Controls: ΞΔ (date) to upper left, krater above, lighted torch to right.
AR, 12.61g, 26 mm
Ref.: Kleiner 62; SNG von Copenhagen 332-3.

• Like 10

Eugenius Siliqua, 392-394
image.png.aead58fa1f6cc34be27e9cb51b767e6b.pngTrier. Silver, 1.72g. Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; D N EVGENI-VS P F AVG. Roma seated left on cuirass, holding reversed spear and Victoriola on globe; VIRTVS RO-MANORVM; TR PS in exergue (RIC IX, 106(d); Ghey 78, this coin). From the Vale of Pewsey Hoard 2020, Portable Antiquities Scheme: BM-7D34D9.

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 2

Elagabal denarii

normal_Elagabal_07.jpg.02a06a68e0413ac55f2792d215c25b16.jpg

Elagabalus
Denar, Rome
Obv.: IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate, draped and horned bust right
Rev.: SACERD DEI SOLIS ELAGAB, Elagabal sacrificing from patera over lit altar right, holding club, star in field
Ag, 19 mm, 3.2g
Ref.: RIC IV 131, RSC III 246, BMCRE V 225

normal_Elagabal_1.jpg.711f859766db2f4375ba54a7335a4993.jpg

Elagabalus
Denar, Antiochia
Obv.: ANTONINVS PIVS FEL AVG, Laureate bust right
Rev.: FELICIT-AS / TEMP, Galley
Ag, 3.3g, 18mm
Ref.: RIC 188, C. 27, BMC 277

• Like 7

Eucarpia in Phrygia

normal_R793_Eucarpia.jpg.c14721b9839fab56e20065e73d609b65.jpg

Augustus or Tiberius
Asia Minor, Phrygia, Eucarpia
Obv: laureate head of Augustus or Tiberius, right
Rev.: ΕΥΚΑΡΠΙΤΙΚΟΥ ΛΥΚΙΔΑΣ ΕΥΞΕΝΟΥ, goddess standing, facing, with r. arm raised
AE, 19mm
Ref.: RPC I 3159, BMC 13, Cop 367, AMC 1382

• Like 8

Elymais tetradrachms

normal_SA032_Elymais_fac.jpg.31f4a201ee537b3a57fc5bbe04fea1e5.jpg

Kingdom of Elymais
Kamnaskires III with Anzaze
Tetradrachm
Seleukeia on the Hedyphon, circa 82-75 BC
Obv.: Conjoined busts left of Kamnaskires and Queen Anzaze; [monogram above Seleukid anchor behind]; c/m: Nike standing left, within rectangular incuse
Rev.: Zeus seated left, holding sceptre and Nike, who crowns him; BΛCIΛEΩC KΛMNΛIKIPOY KΛI IΛIIΛIICHC ANZAZH (BAΣIΛEΩΣ KAMNΣKIROY KAI BAΣIΛIΣΣHΣ ANZAZHΣ) around, date below (out of flan).
11.88g, 26mm
Ref.: Sunrise 470; Alram 454 and note 548; for c/m, cf. Van't Haaff Type 7.1.1-6.

normal_SA033_Elymais_fac.jpg.bed199f843ed30a0b17def33712762f5.jpg

Kingdom of Elymais
Kamnaskires IV
Tetradrachm
Seleukeia on the Hedyphon, dated SE 255 = 58/7 BC
Obv.: Diademed and draped bust of Kamnaskires IV left, [Seleukid anchor behind]; c/m: Nike standing left, within rectangular incuse
Rev.: Zeus seated left, holding sceptre and Nike, who crowns him; IACIΛEΩC KAMNACKIPOY TOY E BACIΛEΩC KAMNACKIPOY around, PK monogram in inner left field, [E]NΣ (date) in exergue.
14.25g, 31mm, 12h
Ref.: Van't Haaff type 8.1, subtype 1-1B; cf. Alram 458; cf. DCA 520

normal_elymais_26_fac.jpg.d3d17dec0dc5a5a1e5f4de9bb9396bce.jpg

Kingdom of Elymais
Uncertain early Arsacid king
Æ tetradrachm
Obv.: Bust facing right, pointed beard, curly hair dressed in a curved pattern
Rev.: crude style bust left, degraded legend
Æ, 15.18g, 30 mm
Ref.: Van´t Haaff Type 10.2, Subtype 1-1

• Like 8

image.png.8cbb2a6e8f4d7a18348ce1b427fbe2fa.png

Eudes II or Odo II. (Burgund)
Dijon, Denarius, 1143-1162 AD, Diameter 19mm, Weight 0.93g

Odo II (French: Eudes II, born probably in 1118; died 27 September 1162) was Duke of Burgundy from 1143 to 1162; he was the son of Duke Hugh II and Matilda of Mayenne. On the accession of King Louis VII to the throne in 1137, he refused to swear an oath of fealty to him, but was obliged to do so by Pope Hadrian IV. In 1147 he took part in the siege of Lisbon in favour of his cousin Alfonso I of Portugal. He was nevertheless a rapacious ruler and, because of his misdemeanours, had to make a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, where he died. He was buried in the monastery of Cîteaux.

• Like 7

E is for Eumeneia!

[IMG]
Phrygia, Eumeneia, c. 133-130 BC.
Greek Æ 21.1 mm, 6.66 g, 1 h.
Menekrates, son of Askle-, magistrate.
Obv: Head of young Dionysus wreathed with ivy, right.
Rev: Tripod-lebes with three handles surmounted by flat cover fringed with spikes, star above and on either side; to right, EYMENE and filleted laurel branch (thyrsus?); to left, MENEKΡA/AΣKΛH and labrys (double axe) with serpent-entwined handle.
Refs: BMC 25.212,14; SNG Copenhagen 382; SNG Tübingen 4008; Paris 1095; Mionnet IV, 563; SNG Oxford 1024-1025; Lindgren I 950; Istanbul 14718; Afyon 2973.

• Like 8

Eudoxia 

normal_Eudoxia_R095.jpg.82358f814e4039f578fcbaa9cfd2b280.jpg

Aelia Eudoxia
Obv: AEL EVDO-XIA AVG, Bust of Eudoxia, pearl-diademed, draped, right, wearing necklace and earrings, crowned by Hand of God
Rev: SALVS REI – PVBLICAE, Victory, winged, draped, seated right on cuirass, pointing to a shield inscribed with a ☧, supported on a low column
RIC 10, p.249, 103

• Like 8