Julia Domna (?) Mystery

Edessa

I have not been able to track this one down or form a firm opinion. The flan appears to be Provencial and is a good two mm thick. The legends appear to be Imperial. It does have the appearance of a casting seam, but this selection of attributes is a bit strange. I paid a huge $7 for this back in 2001, so no great financial loss if it needs to go into the black cabinet. The picture is not great, but the circular area at Securitas' feet is a countermark with an eagle.

AE 18, 5.48g, 6h

Obv: IVLIA AVGUSTA(?)

Rev: SECVRIT IMP...

image.jpeg.f7b37866537e5761f6f3bba11b15d28d.jpeg

image.jpeg.1d382dac837c6bfc7ff248d6973849c2.jpeg

Any thoughts?

• Like 2

A casting seam indicates that this is one of the common ancient white metal forgeries falsely called Limes denarii.

I can read *ECV* on the reverse . FECVNDITAS ? SECVRIT... ?

The obverse and the reverse of these castings do not necessarily have to belong together. 

It could be a Domna obverse and e.g. a Caracalla reverse like this:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4567579

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, shanxi said:

A casting seam indicates that this is one of the common ancient white metal forgeries falsely called Limes denarii.

I can read *ECV* on the reverse . FECVNDITAS ? SECVRIT... ?

The obverse and the reverse of these castings do not necessarily have to belong together. 

It could be a Domna obverse and e.g. a Caracalla reverse like this:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4567579

I agree with the "limes denarius" explanation. These coins are sometimes heavier and thicker than their official counterparts because they are cast. Here's one of Faustina II with a reverse type of Marcus Aurelius used years earlier. It's cast -- notice how the "flan crack" on the obverse doesn't go all the way through the flan.

339037702_FaustinaJrPAXAVGimitationdenarius.jpg.0ae4073737273c50cf515e865f7c46f5.jpg

38935789_FaustinaJrPAXAVGimitationdenariusobliqueview.jpg.4733b7afb624ef82478c55818d6bebe0.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks to both of you! That combination certainly makes the most sense. I am just not familiar with Limes denarii that are over 5g and on such a thick flan. And countermarked to boot. This coin must have had an interesting travel history. The only other Limes Denarius that I have is much more conventional.

Caracalla, as Caesar, AD 196-198. Æ Limes Denarius (17mm, 3.35g, 12h). cf. Rome mint. Struck AD 196-197. Obv: M AVR ANTONINVS CAES; Bare headed and draped bust right. Rev: SPEI PERPETVAE; Spes advancing left, holding flower and raising hem of skirt. Ref: cf. RIC IV 5; cf. RSC 594. 

image.jpeg.ccbe29b4581b2bf12369b6370a79b675.jpeg

• Like 3