Post your Highest Quality ancient coin !

Kosmas

Define "quality" please 😛 

I want to be honest. I don't like such - who has the biggest - threads. Everyone defines "quality" differently - for personal reasons, for financial reasons, etc. Every coin has its quality in its own way. Visually, historically, emotionally for the owner.

My 5 cents. And only my humble opinion 😉 

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 5
  • Smile 1

7 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Define "quality" please 😛 

I want to be honest. I don't like such - who has the biggest - threads. Everyone defines "quality" differently - for personal reasons, for financial reasons, etc. Every coin has its quality in its own way. Visually, historically, emotionally for the owner.

My 5 cents. And only my humble opinion 😉 

Post your "visually" best one if you want .😁

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kosmas said:

Post your Highest Quality ancient coin !

And one thing... "your" then only applies to the others - yours is not. Or in other words - if you take a picture of a coin - then look for a rarer picture on Google. The image of "your" drachma can be found hundreds of times as an example image on Google...

No offence - not meant in a bad way 😉 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

And one thing... "your" then only applies to the others - yours is not. Or in other words - if you take a picture of a coin - then look for a rarer picture on Google. The image of "your" drachma can be found hundreds of times as an example image on Google...

No offence - not meant in a bad way 😉 

Yes of course I have mentioned it . I don't have any "high quality" coins right now in my collection that's why i posted this beautiful "high" quality coin . 😀

Edited by Kosmas

3 minutes ago, Kosmas said:

Yes of course I have mentioned it . I don't have any "high quality" coins right now in my collection that's why i posted this beautiful "high" quality coin .

Now, you've mentioned it. You edited your post afterwards.

Ah ok... sorry, then I misunderstood.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Clap 1

The topic of "quality" reminded me of an excerpt from Stephen Album's Price List #22 from July 1981 (he had a typo on the date/FPL number, not sure if he or the recipient of this copy [prob. Alex Malloy] corrected it in pen)....

I'm not endorsing or agreeing with Album's viewpoint. Just sharing an interesting little tidbit of numismatic history of the kind one encounters when collecting old numis. sale literature:

D9cb1us.jpg

iqTXEZF.jpg

1 hour ago, Al Kowsky said:

Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a high quality freak 😏.

I don't know... I spotted some 4/5's and a couple "AU's" up there, standards might be slipping! 😜 

Here's one I consider extremely high quality (maybe not my highest but definitely "top shelf") but for a different set of reasons.

Namely, that it came from a distinguished series of notable collections:
Ex Virginia Ruzicka Collection, Kerry K. Wetterstrom Collection, Morris / Phil Peck Collection, and ex Collection of our very own @Al Kowsky!

And: Illustrated in Kampmann & Ganschow and cited in RPC IV.4 Online 14916 (ex. 2, no photo).

Photo Source: Heritage Auctions (using NGC-commissioned Photo Vision for the "Morris Collection, Part III" sale).

image.jpeg.f7d8c33848c5a67ed2d6f64ec10206a6.jpeg

Oh, just FYI --

image.jpeg.3f52c5cf282fb3ab01cb46f58ba88bf1.jpeg

[Does RPC ever use cropped slab-photos? I've thought about cracking out a couple rare ones to photo/submit; luckily this one shouldn't need it, Heritage took a pre-slab photo.]

I don't yet have K&G, but I do have hard copies of Malter XXVIII (8 Dec 1984, Ruzicka, ex-Kowsky Library)and CNA XII [link to Archive.org] (26 Sep 1990, Wetterstrom Part I). [Here's the page listing my modest-but-growing library of ancient coin sale catalogs, including a bibliography for catalog research at the end.]

image.jpeg.74130fbd618d26a53abddd016553a0db.jpeg

image.jpeg.ae4f98cfea2750db08d3ccaee9d317ad.jpeg

Edited by Curtis JJ
Malter #
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Curtis JJ said:

The topic of "quality" reminded me of an excerpt from Stephen Album's Price List #22 from July 1981 (he had a typo on the date/FPL number, not sure if he or the recipient of this copy [prob. Alex Malloy] corrected it in pen)....

I'm not endorsing or agreeing with Album's viewpoint. Just sharing an interesting little tidbit of numismatic history of the kind one encounters when collecting old numis. sale literature:

D9cb1us.jpg

iqTXEZF.jpg

I don't know... I spotted some 4/5's and a couple "AU's" up there, standards might be slipping! 😜 

Here's one I consider extremely high quality (maybe not my highest but definitely "top shelf") but for a different set of reasons.

Namely, that it came from a distinguished series of notable collections:
Ex Virginia Ruzicka Collection, Kerry K. Wetterstrom Collection, Morris / Phil Peck Collection, and ex Collection of our very own @Al Kowsky!

And: Illustrated in Kampmann & Ganschow and cited in RPC IV.4 Online 14916 (ex. 2, no photo).

Photo Source: Heritage Auctions (using NGC-commissioned Photo Vision for the "Morris Collection, Part III" sale).

image.jpeg.f7d8c33848c5a67ed2d6f64ec10206a6.jpeg

Oh, just FYI --

image.jpeg.3f52c5cf282fb3ab01cb46f58ba88bf1.jpeg

[Does RPC ever use cropped slab-photos? I've thought about cracking out a couple rare ones to photo/submit; luckily this one shouldn't need it, Heritage took a pre-slab photo.]

I don't yet have K&G, but I do have hard copies of Malter XXVIII (8 Dec 1984, Ruzicka, ex-Kowsky Library)and CNA XII [link to Archive.org] (26 Sep 1990, Wetterstrom Part I). [Here's the page listing my modest-but-growing library of ancient coin sale catalogs, including a bibliography for catalog research at the end.]

image.jpeg.74130fbd618d26a53abddd016553a0db.jpeg

image.jpeg.ae4f98cfea2750db08d3ccaee9d317ad.jpeg

Curtis, I think Steve Album is way off base in regards to quality 😏. Rarity, historical merit, & the price someone is willing to pay for a coin certainly have nothing to do with quality. I assess quality not only by condition, which is important, but also by strike, centering, good metal, roundness of planchet, style, patina & toning. A coin doesn't have to be Gem MS*, Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5, to be high quality. I considered your Antoninus drachm to be of high quality, otherwise it wouldn't have been in my collection 😉. That coin has considerable wear, but the strike, centering, quality of planchet, & breathtaking patina overshadow the coin's wear ☺️. The provenance, & original catalog are just "icing on the cake". 

• Like 3
  • Yes 2

I was taught that 'quality' means 'fitness for purpose'. A bag of chips is higher quality than a meal in a 5 star Michelin restaurant if the measure is 'quick snack'.

This circulated for 225 years, so must have been perfect for its purpose as a coin.

Mark Antony Legionary Denarius, 32-31BCimage.png.bca07d5924dbd33b07988c7aad4dd8cc.pngTravelling mint. Silver, 16mm, 3.0g. Galley, ANT AVG above, III VIR RPC below. Aquila between two standards, LEG (Legion number) (RSC 27). From the Westbury Sub Mendip (Somerset) Hoard 2016, deposited in 193.

• Like 8
  • Cool Think 1
  • Mind blown 1

Posted · Supporter

What is Quality?

Pirsig2005_(cropped).jpg.cad0ffd1bf7909086203e1099cfd2008.jpg

This is probably my highest quality coin in terms of grade, condition, etc.:

20220522_153958.jpg.cc4bb49338a4501252ce078f144bcde2.jpg

This one is pretty sharp, too. I do like the portrait style of Constantine here - he seems to be blushing slightly:

20220524_185611.jpg.ca577036c685eb675e9080766853290b.jpg

• Like 11

48 minutes ago, CPK said:

probably my highest quality coin in terms of grade, condition, etc

@CPK -- I was going to comment on it when you posted it in another thread. That's a really fantastic example but it also has some interesting details that I haven't seen much. The reverse die is unusually artistic in its depiction of the clothing, armor, and shields (the shields and Roman's "skirt" show subtle curves you don't often see even on on high grade fallen horsemen).

What really caught my attention was the fallen horseman's pants. Ever since Doug Smith wrote a page hypothesizing the depiction of stirrups, I've paid special attention to the barbarian clothing. I think he may have retracted the stirrups hypothesis later, but the general point remains: There can be very interesting and important historical phenomena depicted in the details. On yours, the "tassels" (I don't know what that row of "balls" is) appears to run down the front of the pant leg and sort of wrap around. Elsewhere, they usually appear just as a frill on the edge of the pantlegs and you can't tell how they're attached. I still don't know what they are, but I saved your image (hope you don't mind) in my notes file on "Fallen Horseman Anatomy" (eventually a large enough dataset may suddenly reveal an answer).

image.png.f7309d5d1c12a2b79d429a6866cd892f.png

• Like 10

Posted · Supporter
6 hours ago, Curtis JJ said:

@CPK -- I was going to comment on it when you posted it in another thread. That's a really fantastic example but it also has some interesting details that I haven't seen much. The reverse die is unusually artistic in its depiction of the clothing, armor, and shields (the shields and Roman's "skirt" show subtle curves you don't often see even on on high grade fallen horsemen).

What really caught my attention was the fallen horseman's pants. Ever since Doug Smith wrote a page hypothesizing the depiction of stirrups, I've paid special attention to the barbarian clothing. I think he may have retracted the stirrups hypothesis later, but the general point remains: There can be very interesting and important historical phenomena depicted in the details. On yours, the "tassels" (I don't know what that row of "balls" is) appears to run down the front of the pant leg and sort of wrap around. Elsewhere, they usually appear just as a frill on the edge of the pantlegs and you can't tell how they're attached. I still don't know what they are, but I saved your image (hope you don't mind) in my notes file on "Fallen Horseman Anatomy" (eventually a large enough dataset may suddenly reveal an answer).

image.png.f7309d5d1c12a2b79d429a6866cd892f.png

That is very interesting Curtis JJ - thanks for pointing that out! You're welcome to use the photo.

The Fallen Horseman type is so common, there are a lot of mediocre ones out there. Either the design is crude, out of proportion, or just sloppily done. The artistry of this one - the realism and detail - is what made it stand out to me. It seems that the celator had some extra time on his hands when he was engraving this die!

• Like 1

Taking into consideration some of the subjective elements in the term "highest quality," I would probably nominate this Julian II coin from my pile as my highest quality ancient coin.

360_to_363_JulianII_AE1_BIMalorina_01.png.c4513a3e58f3b6e846a35e17edb0de49.png360_to_363_JulianII_AE1_BIMalorina_02.png.83bc7590c9c569303143c0298aa3df6c.png

Julian II (360 - 363) AE1 (BI Maiorina); Thessalonika Mint; Obv: DN FL CL IVLIANUS PF AUG; Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; Rev: SECVRITAS REIPVB; Bull standing right, two stars above;*TESΓ in exergue; Ref: RIC 226; NGC Graded Ch. XF

As soon as I posted the above, I remembered that this Marcus Aurelius Denarius is a rare bust variety and appears on page 146 in this online document. So maybe this is my highest quality coin?

161_to_162_MarcusAurelius_Denarius_01.png.7f2d0b2982b8f17ec303e09af0b5474e.png161_to_162_MarcusAurelius_Denarius_02.png.294a481044e2e698d10ab7fd62e5f140.png

Marcus Aurelius. AR Denarius. Struck 161/2 AD. M ANTONINVS AVG, bare head right / CONCORD AVG TR P XVII, COS III in exergue, Concordia seated left, holding patera, resting left elbow on statuette of Spes set on base. 18mm 3.4gm

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 7
  • Cool Think 1